Monday, December 5, 2011

The Dreaded Christmas List...

Now that NaNo is officially over (thank goodness) and I've managed to win three years in a row, I can start to focus on other aspects of my life - like Christmas.  I know a lot of writers put themselves through a "Revision Hell" for the month of December, but for me, I can't even think about doing revisions.  Last year, I attempted to revise my NaNo novel, but I was in the process of moving and it just made more stressed.  I also found that I skipped past the fun parts of Christmas, like the shopping, the baking and the giving because I was so determined to complete my goal.

This year, I've shelved my NaNo novel and will start fresh with it January 1st.  I worked hard all November and managed to not only win, but put up over 60,000 words.  That is a huge accomplishment for me and I am proud of it.  I think that it earned me a month off. :)

Now that Christmas is 20 days away (19 shopping days), I am feeling more pressure.  My mother, my sister-in-law and even my husband constantly bombarding me with the dreaded question - "what do you want for Christmas"?   My answer (as it with every special occasion) - books.  I have two huge bookshelves full of books and a Kobo half-filled.  I hear the dreaded sigh, "What do you need more books for?  Don't you have enough?"  And with a smile, I reply "Never".  While a lot of women love getting jewellery, I'd much rather get books or a book certificate.  I find books useful, another ring or necklace not so much.

Last year, I received (in my opinion), the ultimate gift for the writer - a Mac computer, which I treat like a family member and downloaded Scrivener which has helped to keep me sane.

So what's everyone asking Santa for Christmas?

RJ :)

1 comment:

Marsha A. Moore said...

You certainly do deserve a month off! Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...