Friday, May 13, 2011

Writer Funk

The second week of boot camp is almost done and I did the biggest no no in the history of any massive writing month. I started my story over. It pains me to think about it, yet I'm thrilled about the changes made. The story is tighter and the conflict is given earlier in the chapter. A rewrite for the better and never mind this is third or fourth one.

Before I decided to rewrite my novel, I entered the writer funk. Nothing I wrote met the level I set for my novel. The language used didn't make it stand out from other fantasy novels. The conflict didn't make my character's life miserable and I spent too much time at the beginning. When the weather started to match my mood, I knew something wasn't right.

When the funk invades, it is difficult to know how to break it. I retreated into a shell of where I only appeared to eat and checked my email. I caught up on shows taped on my DVR. Actually started to watch live TV and I hardly do because I dislike commercials. I don't remember the rest which is a true sign of the funk. No matter how much I willed myself to get out it, it just wasn't happening.

When reviewing my calendar, the book I checked out from the library was due next week. Since the book couldn't be renewed, I started it and slowly an idea formed in my head. I wrote it down on a sticky note. I continued to read and remembered everything I forgot about writing a fantasy novel. From there, my mind kept wandering back to my WIP and the funk no longer held me down.

Being funk free is wonderful but being in a funk is not so bad. It helped me to understand my novel even more than before. Plus this time it only lasted for days and not months. Now it is time to write until the end of this month.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...