Saturday, June 11, 2011

Distractions


I often wonder what keeps me from getting from point A to point B. Let’s say I’m driving from the east coast to the west coast. The reason. I want to see how blue the ocean is there, to soak my feet in the warm salty water, to be transformed and renewed. To be as I once was, a mermaid.

So what happens on the journey across our vast country? Distractions. Doesn’t matter which highway I take something will call out my name. “Look at me!” it teases. And a dialogue between me and the other me takes place;

“It’s only this one time and you’ll never pass this road again.”

“If you stop, you’ll never see the blue ocean.”

“Humph. The ocean’s not going anywhere. What’s your rush?”

“Yes, but you’ll never join your family of mermaids.”

“Aww, you’re such a drag.”

Life is a constant battle between what you want and what you’ll settle for. Of course, at the time you don’t think you’re settling for anything. You convince yourself in any way you can that you made the right choice. Some label it as resistance, fear or excuses. Doesn’t matter what it’s called. End result, you didn’t get to point B. Your true destination. At least, that’s been my experience.

If I follow the voice that loves to ride the wind, it can be exciting while that moment lasts. But, if I choose the more difficult road and listen to that other voice that sits deep inside me, the one that touches the universe, I can create anything. That's the power of your heart song, it sings of your true purpose, your true destination. If you don’t feed the song in your heart it will die and a part of you will as well.

Here's a short mediation video by Tara Stiles Yoga you may find useful. Basically, see the distraction, say hi and bye and return to your breathing.






So, what’s your destination? Are you on it or distracted? What are your distractions? What is your method of keeping on track?

Till next time,

Elizabeth

PS: On June 12th, we're hosting an Open House for bloggers to get connected and exchange follows. Stop by this Sunday to participate!


4 comments:

Rosi said...

Great post. GREAT picture!!! I have so many distractions and I just keep letting them in. Discipline is not my long and strong suit. Maybe meditation would help, but wouldn't that be a distraction? It's an enigma.

Shelley Munro said...

I'm fairly disciplined most days. I find that a to-do list helps me focus on what I need to do. That said, the Internet is like a big, black hole that sucks in the unwary! A good book is also distracting. I love to read. Housework - not so much. *grin*

EW Gibson said...

Rosi,

LOL! I am that cat! Meditation does help, the problem for me is having the discipline to do it. Happy to see your face again. How's the poetry going?

EW Gibson said...

Shelley,

To-do lists are a great idea to see where you need to go and what you've accomplished at the end of the day. Not so good if you haven't done anything. LOL Oh, and you are so right about the big black hole that eats me alive. Every Day. I need a filter or some security lock when I've gone over my time limit. Thanks again for coming by. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...