Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Top 10 List of Steampunk Writing Music

More and more music is being labeled as or associated with steampunk these days. Some of it is pretty good, and some of it is not. But when I sit down to write steampunk, there are a few artists and albums that I go back to over and over for inspiration (most of them are not connected to the genre at all). The choice depends on the mood or pace of the particular scene I'm writing. Here's my list, in no particular order:

1.Tom Waits
2. Devics
3. City of Lost Children soundtrack (or other Angelo Badalamenti)
4. Apocalyptica
5. Sleigh Bells
6. Dropkick Murphys
7. Macross Plus soundtrack
8. Abney Park
9. Man Or Astro-Man?
10. Nick Cave

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, The Clockwork Cabaret is a great source for steampunk-inspired tunes. And here's a video from new-comers, Jarmean:




What music gets your writing juices flowing?

3 comments:

Tiyana said...

Abney Park—how fun!

I like to listen to the soundtracks of movies that have similar themes to my novel, especially since there are no lyrics to distract me while I write: The Village by James Newton Howard for its eeriness and magical quality; Lust, Caution by Alexandre Desplat for it air of mystery and innocence; most of the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks by Richard Gibbs and Bear McCreary for their grand and exotic sense of adventure...

Those are all qualities I hope to emulate in my own writing. :)

Ella Gray said...

Great suggestions, Tiyana! I'm definitely going to get the Battlestar Galactica music sometime soon. The Chemical Brothers soundtrack for Hanna is really good too :-)

Tiyana said...

I agree! Just recently saw that movie. Strange, yet lovely. (I thought it was kind of like a Grimm fairytale version of the Bourne movies, only much shorter.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...