Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy UnBirthday to Me...

I missed a really cool birthday present. This is what I get for letting go my subscription to Neil's blog, or not following my twitter follows too closely. So what did I miss?

I am a real hound for audio books. I chalk it up to learning to read really, really early and being the oldest of five kids in four years. I did all my own reading for as long as I can remember. So, when I first found stories that I really liked, read by actors (Poirot read by David Suchet), or authors I really liked whose books were read by really good readers (Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently novels). Then came American Gods, read by George Guidall, and I was hooked.

Now, I find out that Neil Gaiman has hooked up with Audible to produce more audio books, books he's picked to be recorded. What a wonderful birthday present.

It's also wonderful that he doesn't just pick sci fi or fantasy to be recorded. He chooses books based on his own tastes, which, given the kind of stuff he writes, doesn't seem too off-putting. I work for a family of musicians who teach at home, so I'm looking forward to the collection of essays on being a musician traveling in Russia.

Audible has a free trial offer if you, or someone you know, might be interested.

Meanwhile here are a few links to Neil Gaiman reading, um, Neil Gaiman. Also, here's a link to Bebe Neuwirth reading Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples. This last link also includes one of my favorites, Murder Mysteries, by Gaiman.

Are there any audiobook fans out there? Who are your favorites? Any readers we should stay away from?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...