Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Short Story Moving Pictures



I've only watched one episode, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Science Channel's re-airing of Steven Hawking's Sci-Fi Masters.  I don't know how many of you watched it when it first aired. Or watched Rod Serling's Twilight Zone or Night Gallery.  The Outer Limits was another one.  These were television shows that featured short stories by the likes of Harlan Ellison and Serling himself.   Twilight Zone in particular featured stories that left you with something to think about. This is what I like best about science fiction.  Stories that raise questions, that expose the ideas behind the concepts we take for granted.

Watchbird, the first episode, took our anxieties about surveillance and the role of the government in keeping us safe, to a conclusion. What the conclusion is depends on what question you ask..  In the episode, the question is taken to the personal.  Who is ultimately responsible for what happens to what we create?  That's the question we ask about science often.  Who is responsible and how are we held accountable?

I don't know what the next episode asks.  Looking forward to it though. 

On the other hand, I was watching the Oscar-nominated shorts when the universe conspired with itself to line up Time Freak with my writing this blog post.  Love their answer to the question, "What do you think will really happen if someone masters time travel?"  Funny movie.



That's what I love about spec fic. The variety of the questions and the breadth of the answers.  Meanwhile, I have a new bunch of authors to get to know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...