Monday, August 1, 2011

Vampire Variations

Just the other day I was at the movies with my husband to watch a non-paranormal movie (yes, sometimes I do watch movies that have no shape shifters, vampires or mythical creatures).  I was so pumped when the trailer for the new Twilight movie, Breaking Dawn Part I announced that the movie would be released November 18, 2011. (yes the countdown is on!)  

I loved the Twilight Saga and I am a vampire fanatic, which is probably strongly linked to why I still write vampire main characters.  Yes, I’ve heard time and time again how the vampire market is dead (literally) and overly saturated, but again, putting a new spin on my favorite supernatural creature could be fun and I am always looking for research.

So I checked out the definition of “vampire”, which is:
1. A preternatural being, commonly believed to be a reanimated corpse, that is said to suck the blood of sleeping persons at night.
2. According to Eastern European folklore, a corpse, animated by an departed soul or demon, that periodically leaves the grave and disturbs the living, until it is exhumed and impaled or burned.
OR alternatively a person who has made a pact with the devil, selling his soul to him in exchange for nearly eternal life as long as the person sucks the blood from other people (and often kill them).

Throughout the world there are very interesting variations and types to vampires, I’m going to share with you a few of my favorites.  Prior to the romance with the vampire, the first vampire novels featured a bloated, purple or dark skin-color.  Blood seeping from the mouth and nose and very long hair, nails and teeth.

Origin: Albania
Name: Sampiro
This vampire goes around at night wrapped in its shroud and wears shoes with very high heels.  This was one of my favorites as I pictured Dracula or Edward Cullen stalking through the night in four-inch heels.  This is definitely a variation.

Origin: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Name: Blautsauger
This vampire has no skeleton, are very hairy and have over sized eyes.  They can also shape shift into rats or wolves.  They also hold a bit of earth from their tombs and try to make sleeping peasants eat it to transform them into vampires. 

Origin: Brazil
Name: Lobishomen
This vampire is small, stumpy and hunch-backed, resembling a monkey.  Its face is yellow, has bloodless lips, black teeth, a bushy beard and plush-covered feet. 

Origin: Australia
Name: Pink Vampire
The pink vampire live in the modern age.  It’s skin and fangs are cold.  When angered their eyes go red.  It can function in normal daylight and are harder to kill than regular vampires.

Origin: Australia
Name: Yara-ma-yha
This vampire is a little red man that sucks his victim’s blood through his suction-cup like hands and feed.

I’m not sure how their variations would do with paranormal romance readers.  Any thoughts or know of any other strange variations?

1 comment:

Marsha A. Moore said...

Interesting to learn the various types have origins specific to country, following from the basic folklore styles. Thanks for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...