Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Finding Characters at the Zoo

We had a long weekend, so Hubs and I decided to take a road trip to the Memphis Zoo. I love zoos because they are such a great place for people-watching, and the animals are pretty cool, too. The large family in tank tops hauling three coolers around, that kid in the Creatures of the Night exhibit that talked way too loud, the teenagers covered in face paint and hair feathers, the little boys running wild in the Herpetarium and snapping photos of every snake and lizard with their Nintendo 3DS's - all fodder for background action in my stories.

I'm also pleased to see that the zoo's overall design is one of the few places in the city that really reflects the Egyptian inspiration of its namesake. The entrance is a colorful display of hieroglyphics and obelisks, and the shops and displays directly within continue the theme. It's a nice reminder of Memphis's roots, something I feel like a lot of people that live in the area tend to forget, or have represented poorly (I'm looking at you Pyramid Arena, aka the "Tomb of Doom"). It's a very cool place and we had a blast.

Ultimately, it's all about the atmosphere and animals, so here's a few of my favorite pictures from the day. Enjoy!








Drop me a comment and let me know your favorite spots for people-watching, or just tell us which zoo animals you love the most.

Cheers!
Ella

2 comments:

Marsha A. Moore said...

People watching is fun and does help to create interesting characters! Recently, my husband and I got to a downtown show very early, wanting to avoid traffic. It turned out to be as good as the show to watch all sorts of people enter the theater. It was a dress-up event and there was every style of attire you could imagine.

Ella Gray said...

Ooooo, I love fancy dress-up events too. Of course, we're more likely to end up at live music venues and bars, which are also great places to scout for characters :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...