Monday, July 9, 2012

Whose Imagination Is It? ~guest post by Lynda K. Scott

Those of us at the Speculative Salon are very happy to welcome Lynda K. Scott as our guest today. She has a most unusual writing partner she's going to introduce to our readers!



Whose Imagination Is It?

Hi everyone! Thanks to Marsha for letting me visit today. It's always a treat to see new people and new places, isn't it?

That's one of the reasons I like speculative romance fiction. It's only limited by the author's imagination and the reader's willingness to go along for the ride.

For instance, my alien kitten, Wookie, is my muse and writing partner. When I'm writing a book or short story, she and I have entire conversations. Sure, my family gives me odd looks or thinks I'm goofing around with the kitten but our conversations help ground some of my more…far out ideas.


I love to read and I love all the speculative fiction sub-genres. My science fiction might drop a few scientific facts - and they are facts as far-fetched as they might seem - but the main gist of the story is about the relationship between the two protagonists. That's why I don’t write straight science fiction. You won't find a lot of 'nuts and bolts' technical jargon in my stories.

I particularly love science fiction/fantasy if there's a romance of some sort. It doesn't have to be a full blown romance. It can just show hints of a romance. But there has to be an emotional connection in the story or I just won't be interested in it. Take Star Wars…there's the Princess Leia and the romantic triangle of Han and Luke. It's only potential. There's never a kiss (in the first movie) and a spot of hand holding. But we all see Luke's puppy eyes as he gazes adoringly at Leia and we all know Han's and Leia's instant dislike is a cover for an instant attraction. It's the same for X-Men and Thor and Snow White and the Huntsman and the Hunger Games. It's the emotional connection or potential emotional connection that makes a good story a great story.

I've written short stories that involve shape-shifting dragons and rocker babes, bubble universes and dust bunnies, golems who fight evil magic, and planets orbiting binary stars. My novels have had shape-shifters with interstellar home worlds (HEARTSTONE), an alternate Earth with aliens, dragons and science based on magic (ALTERED DESTINY) and a space opera with an outlawed symbiotic life form (RIDER - currently seeking a publishing home). But the one thing they all have in common is that so very important element of romance.

Oh, Wookie reminds me that I'm offering a free pdf copy of Altered Destiny to one person who leaves a comment AND includes their email address. So make sure you say hi...or chrruup or meow, lol Wookie will pick the winner after midnight Tuesday, July 10 and I'll notify her/him on Wednesday.


Thanks again for having me here!

Lynda

Where to find me on the web:


To join my newsletter, send a blank email to: LyndaKScott-Newsgroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.com




Star-Crossed Romance Blog http://star-crossedromance.blogspot.com/

Heartstone
By Lynda K. Scott
Mundania Press
Science Fantasy Romance

Eric d'Ebrur is out of time. He must find the legendary Heartstone and fulfill the ancient Gar'Ja bond he shares with the Stonebearer. But when he finds her, he discovers that love can be more dangerous than the Gawan threat. Eric can defeat the mind-controlling Gawan but will it cost him the woman he loves?

After terrifying episodes of hypersensitivity, Keriam Norton thinks she's losing her mind. When handsome shapeshifter Eric d'Ebrur saves her from the monstrous Gawan, she's sure of it. But insane or not, she'll find the Heartstone and, if she's lucky, a love to last a lifetime.

Available in print and ebook format
Buy Links: Mundania Press (use MP10 at checkout for 10% discount)




Altered Destiny
by Lynda K Scott
Science Fantasy Romance
Available in ebook formats

Stranded on an alternate Earth, architect and Jill-of-all-trades, Liane Gautier-MacGregor must find her way back to her homeworld before she's enslaved...or falls in love with a man who is the exact duplicate of her ex-husband.

Devyn MacGregor's alter ego as the Reiver Lord is the only way he can fight the Qui'arel and their nefarious Bride Bounty, a tax paid with human females...until he meets the oddly familiar woman who claims he is her husband. And who sets in motion the rebellion that will either free his countrymen or destroy them.

Buy Links:





Great Escapes – Valentine's Day (First in Series)
By Lynda K. Scott and Linda Wisdom
Coliloquy
Interactive Adult Paranormal Fiction

The heartbroken and lovelorn come to Great Escapes B&B in search of a relaxing getaway, only to embark on a weekend of sexual self-discovery, courtesy of the inn's resident ghosts, who bring to life each guest's deepest desires.

Just as the ghosts transform to meet the needs of each guest, Great Escapes leverages the Kindle platform to deliver what each reader wants. Do you like your erotica steamy or romantic? Your hero to have blue or brown eyes? Anonymously fill out your preferences, and we'll deliver the best version of hundreds of combinations prepared by the authors.

In Great Escapes: Valentine's Day, Rose's best friend gives her a weekend stay, where an invisible lover helps her to rediscover her sexuality. But will she open her eyes enough to see who is right next door?

Buy Link

8 comments:

Lynda K. Scott said...

Hi! My internet was down part of the day so I didn't get the notice that this was live. I'm glad to be here and hope you enjoyed my post. Make sure you say hi to enter the drawing for Altered Destiny!

Tami Dee said...

Hi, Lynda, love your post! It is so cool that your cat helps you brainstorm. I completly 'get' it. lol
Love to be entered in the drawing my e mail is tamideeauthor@aol.com

Lynda K. Scott said...

Hi Tami, as a sounding board, Wookie is great. She keeps me grounded as I said above...also keeps my family from having me committed, lol.

Marie Lisk said...

First off let me say meow meow to wookkie. It is great to find another person whose pet gives them ideas. My cat has been a sounding board many times. Can not wait to read your books. Always love to find a new author. Marie Lisk melisk1966@yahoo.com

Lynda K. Scott said...

Hi Marie!

Oh yes, our furbabies are great for sounding out an idea...or using as a character. One of my books (Rider which is still looking for a home)has an alien life form with Wookie's personality! Because of that, Wookie thinks she should get a cut of the royalties when it sells ;-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I wish my cat or my dog were as helpful as yours.

Lynda K. Scott said...

Hi Ella,

Tell them to help or you'll withhold their kibble, lol. OR (if you're not into threats) try bribing them with a favorite treat.

Lynda K. Scott said...

One of Wookie's more interesting jobs is to pick winners for my contests. Today, she picked Tami Dee!

Congrats and I'll be emailing you in a few minutes with a copy of Altered Destiny.

Thanks Marsha and everyone for having me here. It's been fun! Hope you all have a great and Blessed summer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...