Monday, August 27, 2012

Not Enough Hours in the Day

Now that the month of August is coming to an end and September is fast approaching, for me, it means the end of the summer and the beginning of the fall and also a time to reassess my goals for 2012, with four-month remaining in 2012. Yikes! That sounds even scarier when you say it out loud.

This year has been especially a challenge for me trying to keep up with my writing as I had made a commitment at the beginning of January to have the three manuscripts that I had been working on ready for submission.

I had a beautiful baby boy at the end of 2011 and Jack has kept me very, very busy to say the least.  realized at the time it was a lofty goal of getting manuscripts ready, but I'm a determined and dedicated person. And who needs sleep? Sleep is for the weak (says the very blurry-eyed mom that is on her fourth cup of coffee by 10 a.m.)

I've learned to the multitask, and type with one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the bouncing baby in my lap trying to grab my coffee or bang on the keyboard or rip the papers from my desk. Needless to say my productivity drops with him in my lap. I actually caught myself typing my hero saying, "No Jack"...at that point, it was time for both Jack and I to have a nap.

Last week we watched "Finding Nemo" as Jack now likes the colors and sounds from animated television shows or movies and my new favorite motto is "Just Keep Swimming". Unfortunately I'm not going to reach my writing goals this year, but I'm going to keep plugging away.

I am in complete awe of mothers and fathers that still find time to write publishable novels. Being a parent is a full-time AND a part-time job at the same time. There also aren't any days when you can call in sick or take a vacation. I absolutely love being a mom and for now I get spare moments of time when he's napping or sleeping for my writing, which is what I am going to be happy with.

But I am always open for tips on balancing motherhood and writing!

Thanks for reading!

R.J.



1 comment:

E.B. Black said...

I write full time and don't have kids. I do want kids someday though, but I honestly have no idea how parents balance all these things. It sounds so hard!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...