Monday, April 23, 2012

Too Strange to be Sexy?

As a paranormal romance writer there is a fine line between creating something that is new, such as a new paranormal creature that has yet to be used or overused and something that is just not that appealing.

I remember a couple of years ago when I first started seriously writing, the writer boards were hot with requests for zombies. Zombies in romance? I have a very vivid imagination, but I couldn't imagine pairing my heroine with the a zombie hero. He just wouldn't have the appeal for me and instead I felt a major "icky" factor.

One of the first rules that I learned in writing romance is that writers love their heroes and hope that their readers fall in love with him also. I like my heroes dark, but a flesh eating corpse was going a little too far for me.

How about Big Foot or Sasquatch? I have yet to read a paranormal romance novel with the lead being a towering furry man-like creature and after watching "The Messing with Sasquatch" commercials, I'm not sure that I will ever find them attractive or appealing to be cast as either of my leads.


As a romance reader and writer, I can handle bloodsucking corpses with fangs and the smell of dog with my werewolves, but zombies and Sasquatch, I will leave on the shelf, for now.

R.J.








5 comments:

Unknown said...

I could never swallow the zombie idea either! "Oh, hold on honey, a piece of your cheek is falling off!" :-)

runebug said...

There was an old rom com with a zombie called My Boyfriend's Back. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so I don't remember if it was any good or not, but at least it shows that it can be done.

Sonia Lal said...

yeah, zombie hero is too much. it's enough to turn my stomach.

Mina Lobo said...

Zombie lovers aren't so much "strange" as they are "gross." I'm guessing. :-)

Some Dark Romantic

TKOS said...

The "Venture Brothers" had a romantic interest love story between a Bigfoot and a cybernetic man (think the 6 billion dollar Man)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...