Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cleaning Out the Shelves

Have you ever opened up a book that you've been holding on to for a very long time, then when you finally get around to reading it discover it's just not your cup of tea? I absolutely hate that, and unfortunately it's been happening to me a lot lately.

With another possible move looming on the horizon, I'm making an effort to try to weed out as much filler as I can from our little library. Some titles are easier to discard than others, but I try to make a real effort to read every book that comes into my possession. It doesn't always happen, so at this point I'll settle for a thorough skimming (yes, that's a thing).

I've come across science-y books that are almost a decade old, crafting manuals I'll probably never explore, and, of course, novels that have been knocked down the TBR list indefinitely in favor of juicier options. It seems many of them will never win my full attention, so as much as it pains me it's time to pass them on so they may find someone who will appreciate them more.

Movers hate me. Boxes of books are heavy. Hopefully I'll lighten the load somewhat and the rellies will get some new reading material for the holidays.

Step two is sorting the comic books. Prepare for some world-class whining.

Cheers!
Ella

2 comments:

Rosi said...

I have so many I'll-get-to-it-someday books that it isn't funny. I can completely understand what you are going through. It's like ripping children from my breast to get rid of books. Good luck! Oh, and let me know where and when the garage sale will happen.

Ella Gray said...

Thanks, Rosi! It is always another problem altogether deciding what to do with those books once you weed them out. I tend to donate a lot, or trade them in at my used fiction shop. I always thought it would be cool to organize a book swap of some kind one day, but never get around to it...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...