Friday, July 29, 2011

LOTR Final Film and the Official Fan Club

The final film's epic battle to overtake Gondor is one of the best I've seen in a fantasy film. The battle at Helm's deep is tiny compared to it. I can't think of any other battle to compare it to. Everyone comes together to fight the armies of Mordor, even if they didn't arrive all at the same time. The extended version gives a satisfying long ending to the world. Though, it is a little long for my personal taste.

I'm not sure how many of you remember the Official Fan Club for the movie. It existed for the three years the films were shown in theaters. As a geek, I joined the fan club as a charter member. So I received the official movie magazine, discounts, and limited-edition collector's lithograph with a scene from the first movie. But the biggest incentive, for those who joined as a charter member, being listed in the DVD versions of the films' credits. Peter Jackson honored the fans that supported his vision in a lasting way.

I don't remember when I joined or where I have my lithograph now. I didn't purchase anything with my discount. I never wrote to the stars of the films, which I should have done. The only thing I cared about was the way the director gave back to his fans. My name in the credits listed with other fans from around the world in all three films.

I watched the last film until the very end to see my name. While I don't remember details, I do remember watching the films in the theater with my family and friends. I remember the inspiration to write a book just like it. Most importantly, I remember being part of the journey.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...