Monday, October 3, 2011

How to See the Auras of Trees

“To dwellers in a wood, almost every species has its voice as well as its feature.” ~Thomas Hardy, Under the Greenwood Tree

I do a lot of research of lore and legends for my fantasy writing. Lately, I’ve been looking into folklore of trees as a springboard for some magic in a woodland scene in my current novel in progress.

I ran across some interesting directions on how to connect to the aura of a tree. Surprisingly, I discovered had done the exact process as a child, of course, not knowing I was tapping into any spirit, energy, or magic in the trees.

In order to see the electromagnet field or aura of a tree, look close at its edges—where the aura will be the easiest to see. Generally, there will be no color, or it will appear translucent with a slightly white or gray cast, or perhaps yellowish or gold.  Observing the aura is best done from a distance, so you can see the crown against the contrast of the sky. The dim light of dusk is a good time to enhance that contrast. Spring and summer are the best seasons, because the above ground portions of the tree are most active, making the auras also more active.

Soften your gaze onto the outline of the tree. Do not focus on details of branches or leaves. Slightly above the outline, you will see the profile of the tree repeated—the aura. It will seem to radiate and move. In summer the aura may be active as though dancing, like movements of the aurora borealis.

Viewing a group of multiple trees, their auras will blend. Trees which are near, but not touching, often show grayish or white strands connecting them.

To join your aura with the tree’s, sit or stand near it and visualize your aura. Then, imagine it connecting with the energy field of the tree. Hold that connection as long as is comfortable. After you do this with a number of trees, you will “get to know” each on a deeper level. Your own energy may resonate with certain trees, bringing you uplifting feelings.

This type of connection, like any meditation, can alter brain waves and cause a shift in consciousness. Therefore, it is important to ground yourself afterwards. Take time to find your center and feel the Earth at your feet. Imagine sending the energy you gathered from the trees out of your feet, into the Earth.

When I skimmed this technique, I was dubious. But as I read, I recalled I did this very thing often as a child in love with poking in the woods. I thought the filmy outlines were cool to look at, but nothing other than pretty patterns. The quote from one of my favorite authors is appropriate, considering Hardy's use of setting as another character with plenty of energy in his stories.

What are your experiences? Have you felt energies of trees? If you are a writer, have any of your characters gained energy from trees?

Reference: The Lore & Magic of Trees: Whispers from the Woods; Sandra Kynes; 2005.
Art credit: Th0rNe

~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. She is the author of the novel, TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE, the first in a trilogy. Part two, TORTUGA TREASURE is contracted for release in January, 2012. Look for her first of an epic fantasy romance series, SEEKING A SCRIBE: ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS ONE, to be available early 2012.

3 comments:

Ella Gray said...

This is fascinating, Marsha! I would always connect to trees near whatever house we were living in when I was a kid. I liked to climb them, read under them, or just hang out in them at night to watch the stars. Don't know if I ever saw auras, but it sounds like the kind of thing children might do unconsciously anyway. Thanks for sharing :)

Tiyana, aka "Yoyo" said...

This is fascinating!

I can't say I've ever experienced this before, though it seems like something one of my characters might have done before, heh. (Some have connections to certain elements like earth, fire, air, etc.)

Interesting research find, Marsha!

JOY! said...

Yes! I was raised in the Valley where Rivendell was filmed in LOTR.
I teach how to see auras, and how to receive healing from and communicate with trees.
They are my favourite beings on the whole planet.
Lovely article, thank you.
JOY!
www.experiencejoy.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...