Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Special Gifts For Speculative Fans

Transitioning from NaNoWriMo into the Christmas season is a little overwhelming. I seriously think there should be a required spa day somewhere in between the two events, or at least a nice long, relaxing bubble bath. Aromatherapy anyone?

One thing that helps me get through the holidays in one piece is my obsession with extensive planning. The same deeply ingrained impulses that make me a staunch plotter also manifest in my need for lists, time management, and general organization. Over the weekend I made my game plan, including what to get everyone, when to mail things, and our travel itinerary. Yeah, I’ve been called a bit of a control freak, but it helps me keep the stress in check.

I found myself nodding knowingly while reading RJ’s post yesterday, because I, too, never know what to ask Santa for besides books. So I decided to list a few gift options for those who might want to go beyond another Barnes & Noble gift certificate and want something special for the speculative fan in their life.

Art prints – There are a lot of great fantasy artists out there, and a framed print makes a beautiful present.

Doctor Who TARDIS USB hub

LOTR Pez gift set - Hubs and I stumbled upon this gem in Ye Olde Target last week and I just had to mention it here.

Vampire and Werewolf Mask Earrings - These are a little pricey, but they are really cool and unique.

Vampire Art Now - OK, it's a book, but it's guaranteed to be a pleasant surprise for any vampire fan.

Calendars - From witches to astrology to the new speculative movies, you can find a calendar for pretty much anyone these days.

Electric Lunar Explorer Lamp - Great for steampunk and sci-fi fans, this is just one of the many amazing offerings to be found on Etsy.com. Explore the website and you will certainly find something incredible and one-of-a-kind.

Make something! I've done collages, wreaths, even personalized photo albums. It doesn't have to be complicated, just thoughtful. One of the best gifts we ever received was a handmade "fairy house" from our young nieces. It's basically a few bits of nature glued together, but it looks cute hanging on the wall and even smells good.

I'd love to hear about some of the best gifts you've ever gotten and why you loved them. Any other suggestions for speculative goodies? 

Happy shopping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the fairy house, It must have been made with love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...